Monday, December 8, 2008

The Cat in the Grass W/O a Hat

Scooter is showing his age in many ways. He's grown a bit of a belly, okay more than a bit, and he is a little sway-backed. However, he makes up for aging with effort and enthusiasm.

Yesterday, he spotted a small bird peeking at the far edge of the garden. He began his sneak attack from about 20 feet out, and crept, belly dragging, closer and closer. I do not know if it was the sound of his gut dragging, or if the bird just plain outsmarted him, but when Scooter pounced, he missed. I mean he wasn't even close. Of course I would not have allowed him to kill the bird if he'd succeeded, but my intervention was unnecessary.

So I razzed him about his failure and he decided it was time to demonstrate his ability to disappear, which he did handily.

From 25 feet I could not see him. As I got closer, I saw his color but no definition. Then, Scooter being Scooter, he sat up and stared as if to say, what? You got a problem?

Glad I'm not prey.

No comments: